Press Release from the Town of Chapel Hill
To minimize the risk of unnecessarily infecting a person in need of services with COVID-19, local law enforcement personnel will be practicing social distancing.
In an effort to protect officers and the public, Chapel Hill and Carrboro police and the Orange County Sheriff’s office are modifying the way they respond to some calls.
- Law enforcement action that doesn’t necessarily require law enforcement presence: an officer will contact the person by telephone. (example: report of a stolen license plate; an officer will take that report over the phone.)
- In-person law enforcement action:
- Responding officers will not shake your hand or hug you
- Officers will stand farther away from you and other people (six feet or more is the current recommendation from health officials)
- Officers might ask you to turn on lights or turn televisions down so they can see or hear you better from farther away
Be the first to comment on "Local Law Enforcement Responds to COVID-19"