By Laurie Paolicelli
We are all feeling the stress and and anxiety of the coronovavirus pandemic. The most vulnerable in our community– older adults, those suffering from illness, those experiencing homelessness and food insecurity are facing the greatest challenges and they need us more than ever. Many of our Orange County nonprofits are on the front lines and could use our help.
Volunteering with these and other organizations IS allowed under county and town “Stay At Home” orders. Each organization is putting in place appropriate measures to adhere to physical and social distancing recommendations in order to keep everyone safe.
Help will be needed for an extended time. To learn about immediate needs or signal your interest in helping out in coming weeks, you can reach out to the individual organizations.
• Food Pantry – Non-perishable groceries
• Community Kitchen – Take-out hot lunch (100) and dinner (50)
• HomeStart Shelter – Preparing dinner for 35 residents
• Community House Shelter – Preparing dinners for 50 residents
• Help needed: Volunteers 🙋 Groceries 🛍️ Funding 💵
Meals on Wheels
• Delivery of meals to homebound seniors
• Help needed: Volunteers 🙋 Funding 💵
• Doorstep delivery of healthy, non-perishable groceries and produce to 600+ students weekly
• Help needed: Volunteers 🙋 Groceries🛍️ Money 💵
• Food For Families – non-perishable groceries + produce to 465 families monthly
• Support for local food pantries – non-perishable groceries and grocery gift cards
• Volunteers 🙋 Groceries 🛍️ Funding 💵
DSS Food Drive to Benefit Families Impacted by COVID-19
Orange County DSS is collecting non-perishable food items at both locations to support those in the community impacted by COVID-19. Need has increased with kids being out of school and families losing income as businesses close or reduce hours.
Donations of food, cash and gift cards can be made directly to DSS, which will remain open throughout the crisis to serve families in need.
Drop-off donations can be made at our two locations:
Southern Human Services Center
2501 Homestead Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Orange County DSS
113 Mayo Street
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Make checks out to Orange County DSS with Food Drive in the memo line. Mailing address is Orange County DSS, PO Box 8181, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
Online donations can be made through the Community Giving Fund. From the drop-down menu, please select “School Supplies and Food Pantry Donations” to ensure the funds go to this campaign. All donations are tax deductible.
For more information about the Community Giving Fund, email email@example.com.
Laurie Paolicelli is the Executive Director of the Chapel Hill/Orange County Visitors Bureau.
Be the first to comment on "Local Organizations In Need of Support"