By Laurie Paolicelli
Over the course of the next few weeks and months we will see an influx of visitors to the Chapel Hill/Orange County area – students, their families and friends, and hopefully many others, here for work or pleasure. It’s never been more critical than it is now to know that the hotel rooms waiting for them are clean and safe.
At a local tourism planning meeting in Chapel Hill, the Chapel Hill/Orange County Visitors Bureau asked Orange County hotels for an update on the rigorous sanitation efforts being implemented. Here are some updates on what visitors can expect when checking in to our hotels.
Hampton Carrboro and ATMA properties, including Courtyard by Marriott, Quality Inn, and Sheraton Chapel Hill
- ATMA Hotel Group is committed to the safe and clean stay of all of their guests and has introduced the ATMA P.R.O.M.I.S.E. which includes increased cleanliness protocols, while also incorporating new technologies like electrostatic sprayers that disinfect rooms. See video here.
- All of their hotels have removed notorious germ attractors like pens and notepads and have focused on cleanliness of high touch guest room areas. They have cut down on stay over service to provide a safe contactless experience for both their employees and guests.
- They will continue to work with the Hilton and Marriott brands and their partners on the cleanliness initiatives that have been put forth. They have also implemented several policies to keep their employees safe during the pandemic by providing masks, desk shields and temperature checks among other measures.
- ATMA Hotels has two hotels that are currently not open; the TRU by Hilton, under construction, and the Sheraton, currently under renovation.
- Sheraton Chapel Hill: This property, currently under renovation is looking at having rooms available in October 2020.
The Carolina Inn
- The landmark destination hotel at the University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill.
- The Carolina Inn is running shuttle service and sprays a mist of “industrial-grade disinfectant” throughout the shuttles — a process known as fogging.
- The restaurant will open August 3, 2020 under the current guidelines.
- Provisions and Company is the “grab and go” option now.
- Hyatt (Carolina Inn is part of their portfolio as is Hyatt Place Southern Village) is now guided by Hyatt’s Global Care & Cleanliness Commitment which builds on rigorous safety and cleanliness protocols.
Hyatt Place Southern Village
- Located next to the beautiful Southern Village neighborhood in Chapel Hill.
- Hyatt’s Global Care & Cleanliness Commitment which builds on rigorous safety and cleanliness protocols and includes GBAC STARTM cleanliness and training accreditation process through the Global Biorisk Advisory Council (GBAC) at the Chapel Hill and all Hyatt hotels.
Graduate Hotels (former Franklin Hotel)
- Graduate Chapel Hill is set to open 8/3/2020.
- The company has introduced Graduate Cares – a pledge to ensure the health and safety of customers and associates. Created in partnership with the country’s top medical professionals at the Cleveland Clinic, leading consumer products company Procter & Gamble, and the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA).
- The Graduate Chapel Hill will safely offer “grab and go” options.
- Elevator rules: 2 people per elevator or one family.
AC by Marriott
- AC by Marriott downtown Chapel Hill is committed to providing Chapel Hill guests with a safe environment that aligns with expert protocols for working to defeat COVID-19.
- Consisting of in-house and outside experts in food and water safety, hygiene and infection prevention, and hotel operations, the Marriott Cleanliness Council has redefined cleaning and safety standards.
Residence Inn by Marriott
- Breakfast now being offered is via “grab and go.” Boxed meals available.
- Evening dining and room service is open on weekdays from 5:30 pm – 9:30 pm.
- The pool is open currently with 10 person-capacity.
- As a Marriott brand, the property has rolled-out enhanced technologies using the highest classification of disinfectants recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO).
- Residence Inn is currently not running shuttles.
The Siena Hotel, Autograph Collection
- The Siena Hotel, Autograph Collection located in Chapel Hill is a boutique hotel with Italian inspiration
- Siena Hotel is part of the prestigious Marriott Autograph Collection.
- As an Autograph Collection hotel, the property shares the same Commitment to Clean as Marriott International, and no one says that better than Mr. Marriott himself.
- Il Palio is the prestigious dining room which celebrates the great tradition of Italian hospitality.
Aloft Hotel Chapel Hill
- Aloft Hotel Chapel Hill is committed to providing Chapel Hill guests with a safe environment that aligns with expert protocols for working to defeat COVID-19.
- Consisting of in-house and outside experts in food and water safety, hygiene and infection prevention, and hotel operations, their Marriott Cleanliness Council is redefining the hotel’s cleaning and safety standards.
- The pool remains closed.
Hillsborough Holiday Inn Express
This recently renovated Hillsborough Holiday Inn Express property is a member of the International Hotel Group (IHG), which adheres to comprehensive health and safety procedures including all local laws.
Chapel Hill and Orange County are striving to help keep visitors safe during their visit. Learn what local businesses are doing to protect you as part of the “Chapel Hill Cares Stay Safe Pledge.” Join this shared commitment to keeping each other healthy.
And when you pack your bags, don’t forget your face coverings. VisitChapelHill.org
Laurie Paolicelli is the Executive Director of the Chapel Hill/Orange County Visitors Bureau.